We are all made of stars.
By Sarah Evans
P.O.V. Contributing Writer
Hey there people. I hope you're having a lovely day, wherever in the world you may be.
Today, I wanted to talk to you a little about living a creative life and still actually managing to have a life at all! Balance is so tricky. I was inspired to write this post after reading a bit of Amalia's lovely blog. It seems I am not alone in the conundrum of how to fit it all in.
Now, don't get me wrong. I am happy to have a busy life. I love to keep myself busy and being up to all kinds of things at once. Currently I am working on:
- Completing my novel (nearly there - I am past 40,000 words already!)
- Creating new art prints using different mixed media
- Collaborating with other Etsy store owners to set up an interview series.
- Working full time
- Making time to be with my other half
- Exercising regularly (P90X round 2)
- Saving and saving to be debt-free ASAP.
Plus millions of other things like tweeting, Facebooking, blog-hopping and anything else that catches my fancy.
But what happens when all of this gets too much? What happens when work becomes your life with no time for anything else? (As it does for me sometimes - I am very guilty of this).
These thoughts (plus some wonderful words of wisdom from the gorgeous Leonie Dawson) have led me to set up my Minimum Standards of Self Care.
Each day I will ....
- Eat lots of fruit and vegetables
- Drink water
- Take multivitamins
- Have "time off for tea" with MHI (My Handsome Irishman). No laptop, food at the table with conversation and loveliness.
Most days I will .....
- Exercise - because it's good for me and will make me feel healthy (once I get past the achy part)
- Create something! Even if the only thing I create is a mess!
Each week I will .......
Take time off and spend it with MHI - watch a film, have a chat, go for a walk. Crucially - TURN OFF THE COMPUTER!
I am hoping these new standards will encourage me to take a step back more in my life. To appreciate everything going on around me rather than having my head buried in my laptop all of the time.
What things would you pledge for yourself? I'd love to know what your Minimum Standards of Self Care are.
Have a great day people!